Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

IPRA Nationals This Sunday, Live streamed
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Ballarat Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all, My 1200 Coupe is punting around Phillip Island tomorrow, the live steaming address is https://youtu.be/KEnRVQZ9hfM

The A12 turbo Coupe is still in the mix after a DNF after an over boost issue that saw over 35PSI blow the IC piping off. started the last heat in 33rd and finished in 14th. Still a chance to make the podium in the final!

Tune in for some good racing!

Posted on: 2016/11/26 12:06

Re: IPRA Nationals This Sunday, Live streamed
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Good luck Simon.

Posted on: 2016/11/26 12:19

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Was that you avoiding the spinning BM? I couldn't see for sure on my small screen but it looked like a very near miss. If it was I enjoyed seeing you charging up the field.

The times show the under 2 litres as being faster than the over 2 litre cars. I didn't expect that on a circuit like Phillip Island. Is that normal?

Ok I found some more times and see the over 2l being about 4 sec a lap faster.

What makes those Civics so fast? What's their weight compared to your 1200?

Posted on: 2016/11/27 22:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Mordialloc Victoria 3195
Group:
Registered Users
Had to work so missed watching - how did you and 'driver' go?

Posted on: 2016/11/28 4:41

keep it simple

From Ballarat Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
It was a bit of a mixed weekend. Alan hadn't driven the car before and only had two practice sessions on the Friday.

The car was very loose, so went up in front spring rate a bit.

We had Qualifying first up on Saturday. Ended up 9th.

The first heat we had a DNF when the waste gate control hose came off and it overboosted and blew the IC plumbing apart.

The second heat we started in 33rd and finished 14th.
The car was still loose so added more front spring and lowered the rear roll center. We also went to a slightly wider rear tire.

The third heat we started in 21st and finished in 7th.

The car was feeling more neutral, so we left the same setup in it but dropped tire pressures a pound for the longer final.

The final we started out of 14th, but unfortunately Alan stalled the car on the start! He was passed by the whole field except for 3 cars by the time he got it moving again.

He drove the car well to finish in 9th.

I'll put up a link of the race. The Datto doesn't get too much coverage, but its still worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/BlendLineTV/videos/1896581820565274/

Posted on: 2016/11/28 5:01

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
Great racing sikyne and nice to watch.In the RSA the 1600's run with 2l and 3l.The commentators were great too everybody got a mention and there's just praise for e/body. The little suzuki swift was really motoring before he let it slip [got me thinking] maybe i should take my wifes 2015 suzuki swift lol [she will prob leave me] Suzuki's are doing real good. I believe the time attack suzuki of D Language ran good times just short of the gtr according to article in speedhunters i think.How does your datsun compare to that suzuki which is the older model? OH did he finish?

Posted on: 2016/11/28 18:10

From Ballarat Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, those Suzuki's are quick. There are two of them but the other one dropped a valve in the last heat and didn't make the final. Cox in the winning Honda brought the car to Winton raceway for the first round of the Victorian state series last year and I beat him fairly comfortably. We just didn't get our #OOPS# together on the weekend. A lack of prep didn't help out cause either.

At least we survived to fight another day!

Posted on: 2016/11/29 2:56

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Simon for a guy who'd never driven the car I'd say Alan was mighty impressive; as someone who spent my last two events starting from the back due mechanical issues (minor in my case) and making up 8-12 spots in 6 lap sprints I understand what a feat you guys pulled off. You absolutely need to pull of as many passes on the first two laps to have may chance of stay with the front group. I suspect there where some people who got passed in places they didn't think it was even possible to pass.

I am curious as to why you went up on the front spring rate rather than working on the rear to cure the oversteer. Was it a case of undoing a prior change or a case of that was the only way to get as big of a change you needed?

Finally while it's obviously nicer to dominate I sometimes think that scratching and clawing your way to the front can be more satisfying. Of course it's probably just the relief of having salvaged a decent finish out of a total dog pile start to an event.

Tom

Posted on: 2016/11/29 5:59

From Ballarat Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Tom, Id love some feedback on setup, as I feel i've lost my way a bit.

The car used to be fairly softly sprung. over the years ive been adding spring rate to the front and rear. I added another leaf to the rear pack just before the weekend and presumed i'd have to go up a bit at the front to get the balance back.

I arrived at the track with a Rear setup of 250Lb leafs, 3mm toe in and 1deg neg camber. I didn't have a rear anti roll bar.
Front end had 350Lb springs, 120Y anti roll bar, 1.5mm toe in and about 4.5 neg camber. The rear roll center was set about 40mm below the axel centerline(watts link). I have front roll center spacers under the struts that are about 45mm high. the lower control arms are about 25mm higher on the inboard crossmember end than the ball joint end.

Over the weekend, I lowered the rear roll center a further 25mm and added about 50Lb to the front rate.

The oversteer was reduced by the changes but there was still no sign of push. On a track like this its best to have a little push.

We have to run 100mm ground clearance for the rules.

My next thought is to go up in front anti roll bar size and lower the front spring rates. Im also thinking the rear roll center shouldn't be that low.

Yeah, I agree. Alan did a great job!
Regarding changing the front rate rather than the rear, its just hard to change rear rate at the track. a front spring change only takes about 15mins.

Alan said the car felt very loose, particularly on high speed corners and said it felt like the car had rear toe out!

Posted on: 2016/11/29 8:10

Edited by sikyne on 2016/11/29 8:28:44

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Simon,
I wish that I could offer you some wisdom here but I too are struggling with my setup and far from happy with it.
I do have some questions though;
You mentioned that you started fairly softly sprung - what sort of rates were you initially using at a point where you were relatively happy with the car?
Rear 250 lb springs - how did you rate these? I have searched high and low here in Christchurch and there is no-one who can rate leaf springs ( including the spring makers Bellamy and East )
Any reason for not running a rear bar?
Also your front end- have you had any bump steer issues after moving the pivot points for the lower control arms higher in the crossmember?
Interestingly from what I have read and responses from various 'learned' people on this site 350lb fronts is the stiffest that I have seen on a 1200 with an A series. After saying that I have had suggested to me that my 275lb fronts may be too soft and certainly given some of the rates that people over here are using on say Pre 65 Ford Anglias ( 450-550 ) it would appear too light yet it does raise the question is it best to tie them up really tightly and turn them essentially into go-karts?
I'm sure that you will get it sorted and look forward to following your results next year.
Dave

Posted on: 2016/11/29 21:30

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.