Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: CAMS Approved roll cage for 1200 Coupe
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I'm with Peddler. If you are going to do it - do it properly. There's a saying about helmets - buy a fifty dollar helmet for a fifty dollar head. And the same applies to any safety gear - get the best you can afford. Even if it is 'just' for Hillclimbs and sprints - I've seen some very big accidents and rollovers at both.

$800 is dirt cheap for an approved cage, but I wouldn't expect it to be anything more than the absolute minimum bare bones 6 point job. Ensure it complys with CAMS drawings, and it's concerning to hear that some might not come with any diagonal member. They are mandatory.

If you are building a race car in particular, I'd get the most comprehensive cage you can afford. Not only is it the only thing between you and every other idiot on the track, but it provides the basis of the chassis for the suspension to work off. I cannot believe the difference in the car since I got my cage! To give you an idea, most race-fab shops up here start prices from around $1800 or $2000 and go up from there depening on what you want. Be very careful when looking at cheaper alternatives, and make sure you know that section of the CAMS manual inside out before talking to the chaper cage builders. There are a few reputable cage builders around who are prepared to do the job for less if you hunt around long enough. I can recommend one in SEQ, but that doesn't really help you guys I guess. Having the cage built as opposed to an off the shelf bolt-in, allows you to tie the cage in to the bodyshell in alot more areas. Mine has something like 18 attachment points

front section
rear section

Posted on: 2003/10/28 23:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Newscastle, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The reason I asked this question is because there are so many differing interpretations of the rules. I have a CAMS log book and it states that the cage may not be tied to the suspension points for IPRA....so how safe can you go, and not get more chassis stiffness?? CAMS even say that you can run in IPRA with a 2 point lap or 3 point lap-sash belt with AS 2596 fitted in production. Now obviously you wouldnt run without at least a 4 point.
Harry I really like your cage but $2 grand is a little more than I wanted to spend. (not that Im a tight wad and have unrealistic expextation....I just cant afford it)
Im trying to get the whole car on the track for less than $3 grand. Thats the reason I want to race these great cars, as for a fraction of the price you can still be reasonably competitive.
Marty, your comments are appreciated I agree with safety but if Im going to have a big off I may as well be taken out all together doing what I love!!!!

Posted on: 2003/10/29 2:13

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
I suppose what it comes down to is simply what CAMS are going to allow you to run, the fact that they have gone to FIA specs to further increase safety in all forms of motorsport in Australia, i recon is being welcomed with open arms.

I can understand the cost factor and i appreciate your position Converted but one thing that you have to think of as well, is that you dont want to go out and spend any amount of money and then find out that it is not suitable or allowed and you have to go and spend more......

I cant recommend enough, Peter at Bond RollBars in Western Sydney. Even if you give them a ring or pop in for a chat, i am sure that Peter will tell you what you can and what you cant do.

I also am in the process of building a new car for improved production. 1200 Coupe with CA18DET..... they fact that the car is going to be in this class and looking at the speed of not just me but others, the cage that i am getting built which is extensive i know, is going to cost me about $2100 and i thought that was cheap

I have seen a few times cars that present them selves to race at meetings get turned away time after time becuase they dont comply.

No dis-respect, but i think that you will find it very hard indead to to build an IPRA Car of any kind for $3000 !!!! But in saying that i would love to see you out there Champ doing what we all love, racing and revving the hell out these great little 1200's.......

Cheers
Peddler

Posted on: 2003/10/29 3:24

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I found a good cage builder who works from a shed on his property about an hour and a half out of Brisbane to build my cage for significantly less than most of the race fab shops. I paid $1450 for my cage with fabricated drivers side seat mounts. You would expect to pay at least $1000 more anywhere else. I think the material costs were around $600, and it took about 15hrs labour.

Unfortunately building (and running) a race car costs money. I wish you luck, but I don't think anyone can put a car on the track for under 3 grand.

Posted on: 2003/10/29 3:52

From Newscastle, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah I think I'll stick with Peter from Bond...I already had a price...which was $800 fully fitted and includes a certificate for my CAMS log book.
Just on the $3000 statement...
I bought a fairly straight...with a little rust in the sills 1200 coupe road car...it included a Jeff Taylor A15 with twin DCOE Webers.
It has a Sunny 4spd and locker H165...all for $1300
Roll cage $800
Carb rebuild by Jeff Taylor $400
Respray and rust work $300
Seat $225 (Australian Stds approved)
3" 4 Point Harness $330 Repco (FIA)
fully adjustable struts with Tokiko inserts and 200B GX brakes and calipers $200 (from dattodude...sorry to hear about the throat cancer....that thread was a sick joke)
engine oil cooler and gemini radiator $150

oops edit thats $3705....a slight exaggeration, but if you guys help me with the harness and seat and cage thats well under $3000..
but $3700 is still not bad

oops edit again I bought alloy wheels for $70 and will need yokohama control tyres $400 (new) $150 with 60% tread
Thats $4000...But Im still confident that $3500 is achieveable with alot of scrounging

Posted on: 2003/10/29 5:06

From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Not bad going price wise.

I raced a 1200 Coupe at Sandown 2 weeks ago which all up cost $300, but that was with the stock 60hp powerhouse under the bonnet. Still heaps of fun, but I digress.

Does anyone have recommendations for honest and thorough roll cage builders in Victoria?

I've got this guy in Dandy to try and a friend who is a very experienced fitter and turner who might just do it for little more than material cost, but options are very good to have.

The more options you have the more you can decide about.

Posted on: 2003/10/29 8:40

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]