Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

EGR engineering question
Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Hey boy's/girls

Quick query im going to be getting my A15 ute engineered shortly but i have a quick query about the EGR for it and my engineer is asking for EGR

As i have a H89 Closed chamber head (NO-EGR) does this mean that im not required to run any

I have also been asked to put on a catalytic converter which i see no reason to put on the car either..

im just wanting to see if my engineer has any idea or i just go else where

Posted on: 2016/5/19 2:52

Edited by loosekid on 2016/5/19 3:25:42
Edited by loosekid on 2016/5/19 3:26:30

Re: EGR engineering question
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
EGR does not require a carbon canister or a catalytic converter

Carbon canister is for EFE (Evaporative Fuel Emissions), and was standard equipment on Australia utes in the 1980s -- it's not for the engine, it's for the vehicle's fuel system

What year is your ute? What year is the A15? If it's a 1979 A15, the regulations may be different from a 1985 A15

Posted on: 2016/5/19 3:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah thought as much no idea where im going to plumb in the stupid vacuum lines for purge for the carbon canister with having a race manifold for the twin 45mm webers :( and i really do not want to drill and tap my maniflold as its just going to get in the way of the linkages and look absolutely horrible

The ute is 1979 model, and to be totally honest im not sure what year model the A15 is can i tell from the Engine VIN will it have a larger number for later model?

Im really not wanting to put a CAT on either after spending big money on a full stainless exhaust

Posted on: 2016/5/19 3:23

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
You can do what others have done -- drill & tap the bottom of the manifold, so it's not visible and doesn't interfere with linkage

The year of the A15 is what the engineer accepts it as. H89 was first used in 1980 I think. I haven't ever seen a list of engine serial number ranges corresponding to years

Posted on: 2016/5/19 3:34

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
guess ill have too to meet requirements (sigh)

Only other query i have is im running a catch can (rocker and crank case) to catch with atmosphere as i dont want the oil blow by going back into the intake or through my brand new carbs and providing build up via the PCV as the engine is build very high essentially race engine for mild street driving on occasion it will have larger blow by than standard for the PCV any idea if the engineering will be fine with catch can setup verse PCV into manifold or will i also be #OOPS#ed over there and have to drill yet another hole to accommodate stupid requests...

Emmissions SUCK

Posted on: 2016/5/19 3:44

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes emissions are bad, so we try to limit how much of them our car outputs

Only your engineer can say whether he will OK your car without a crankcase ventilation system. Why do you think your engine will have more blowby? A good fresh race engine shouldn't have much blowby

Posted on: 2016/5/19 4:13

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
You'll probably find the PCV intake is required to be plumbed back into the engine air intake. If you run the inlet to the catch can to the inlet of the engine it should have less oil particulates coming through, although like DD says, blowby is more of an issue for engines where the rings are worn/ not sealing well or the exhaust valve guide is worn and gas is getting through there.

Posted on: 2016/5/19 4:50

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Cats were introduced when lead free petrol was introduced. So not applicable in your case unless the engine is built post 1/1/1986.

If not then you'll need to meet whatever emissions were valid when the engine was built. Check out the site below if you haven't already.

If you can't date the engine assume '79 and meet whatever the car had to then.

If your manifold had a boss on each port, drill and tap them to take the PCV. It's plumbed between the throttle plates and valves. Easy to plug when you're on the track and running a catch can.

Do the same for the EGR. Back then many cars had such poor pipes and openings for the EGR they quickly became clogged. The cars could be tuned to run a better fuel air mix and the clogged ports left that way.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article. ... gulations-Part-One&A=2677

Posted on: 2016/5/19 6:51

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
I know its a bit of a hassle, you could also rebuild the A15 using an A14 block. very straight forward process.

Posted on: 2016/5/19 7:19

-----------------------------------------
1971 B110 Sedan GX Spec
1970 KB110 Coupe Track Car
1970 KB10 Coupe
-----------------------------------------
S13 caliper b...

Home away from home
From Sydney Australia
Group:
Registered Users
EGR is not necessarily the problem many think it is, Removing the EGR on Blue and Black holden sixes cost you roughly a 100 kilometers per tank of fuel in that case the EGR actually cooled the cylinder stopping detonation because of poor head design.

Nothing is cut and dried when it comes to modified engines and modern cats offer very little flow resistance, more of a concern is to make sure the heat shielding is appropriate on the cat or one day you may park on the grass beside the road and see a grass fire start up under the car as cats often run around 900 degrees celsius temperatures.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 0:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]