Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Split cycle, 2 stroke, steam powered A15 or L series
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Being cooking my brain for a while on reading about 6 stroke, split cycle and other fuel/steam hybrids and come up with this.

Since the A series and L series are non crossflow it would be relatively easier to mod one to run in the 2 following setups....

1. the Split cycle like scuderi engine but different here could be applied with the use of a custom camshaft, timing, manifold tubes connecting 1 to 3 and 2 to 4(or 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 havent worked that out yet), Big steel sleeved bores on 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4) and offset ground crankshaft to make the crankpin at TDC to be 2-6 degrees on the downstroke. Not forgetting full balancing on both concepts.
By using the bigger volume cylinders to pump the air into the smaller cylinder (eg cyl 1 drawing air on the inlet stroke and then exhausting it to the next cyl either 2 or 3 (depending on crankshaft firing order I havent worked that out I need a simulator) an injector placed on the tube connecting the cylinders injects the fuel in the airstream as it enters the second cylinder.
The secret is to make the fuel combustion cylinder fire following the quick opening and closing of the inlet valve releasing the pressurised fuel and air mixture just after TDC. This will allow the exhaust gases to exit completely almost better than a conventional 2 stroke engine does. The combustion occuring just after TDC is able to maximise the downstroke increasing torque.
Can it work on the A series or L this way?
Also if it was applied to a 6 cylinder engine the 3 cylinder could be pushed with a mixture of exhaust gas and water squirted into the connecting tube which will expand (water expands up to 1600% to push the piston with awesome torque and exhaust the gas and water mix into a turbo.

2. The second version is just using the first power cylinder as a 4 stroke to to push the exhaust and water mix into the second cylinder (working as a normal 2 stroke that is valve opens and closes at just before and after TDC) to expand this second cylinder without burning fuel and a pneumatic air valve in between the feeding tube (from cyl 1) to let external fresh air in, along with the same amount of water to cool the second cylinder further and perhaps help keep the engine cooler overall. This engine would use water as a fuel with the help of the exhaust heat so would need two tanks one for fuel and one for H2O. Can anyone help with any problems associated with this application also?.

Heres the animation that kept me awake at night (of course this is using an almost simultaneous firing pair of cylinders) My concept wouldnt need to. Also in concept no 1. the first cyl combustion chamber could be welded where the intake valve is and opened where the exhaust valve is to help air flow into a pocket like chamber so aid the exhaust as this cyl wont be needing to combust but just feed the second cylinder)
http://www.scuderigroup.com/technology/animations/split_sideview.html

Posted on: 2007/9/17 12:56

Re: Split cycle, 2 stroke, steam powered A15 or L series
Home away from home
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
MAN my brain hurts!!

Posted on: 2007/9/17 13:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
Registered Users
C`mon maddat its gotta make the L series live longer in the future hybrid market

Its so hard to explain the different processess but its quite simple once you work it out.

I forgot to mention the L series wouldnt need the sleeving unless you go over 89mm bores for the supercharging cylinders. Yet Maddat you could use 91mm bores with your know how if you left the split cycle combustion bores at say 86mm max.

Posted on: 2007/9/17 13:38

From Newscastle, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
i say let everyone else go electric and green whatever and as fuel prices go through the floor enthusiasts like us can drink the stuff to our hearts content.

Posted on: 2007/9/18 2:27

Home away from home
From Sydney Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hi D, that is really facinating technology. But from what I read, the real advantages come from chaning the cylinders to suit their purpose, eg compression of power strokes, is that right? which would mean you would need to really play with bore and strokes more than a couple of mm to get a real difference? Just wondering.

The other idea that I have been stewing over is a pnumatic engined drag car or even hillclimber. If you had a tank with the compressed air, it would be great, as it provides full torque right off the line all the way to the top, the same as an electric engine, but without the weight of batteries.

What do you reckon?

Cheers, Ian

Posted on: 2007/9/18 2:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
Registered Users
Ian
Just a few mm could work for bore and stroke as the scuderi simulation shows. Say 150cc extra is enough for the pressurised air and fuel to enter the next cylinder at such high velocity and compression that it will increase the efficiency.

Pnumatic engines I have been also contemplating for a few years and if only a suitable engine with low friction and lightweight could be purchased then you wont need a gearbox either to take off and accelerate to any speed. Ive looked at the tanks and compressors required and although about the same cost as batteries they work out to be better.

My main concern here is that there are apparantely 5 billion petrol engines that cant be replaced but perhaps could be modified to do better. This is where everyone else has and will fail.

Posted on: 2007/9/18 3:03

Home away from home
From San Jose, California
Group:
Registered Users
the scuderi design seems interesting, but i want to see an actual running prototype. The fact that there isn't one seems suspect.

Posted on: 2007/9/18 4:06

Group:
Registered Users
I reckon I could have had an A series version done by now. Some of these companies just love investors.

Unlike the Beare head which the owner/designer has done all by himself with not a cent of investment. Thats another fantastic option for an alternative head for an A series instead of the AY head. Its simpler and give way more torque, perfect for the street or rallying.

Posted on: 2007/9/18 12:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]