Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: John Wayland, an introduction
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Pt. 1

Hello 1200 fanatics,
Thanks for the warm welcome to the club. First and foremost, I am one of the world

Posted on: 2001/1/20 4:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Pt. 2, continued from Pt. 1.....

From Chris:

>Cool Car. It's the ultimate in stealth.

Yes, there

Posted on: 2001/1/20 4:29

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Pt. 3, continued from Pt. 2....

>2. If all cars were electronic, the power drain would be allot more and would need more >power plants - something governments wont spend cash on if they can help it.

Nope. Most power generating plants have excess energy available at night in the off peak times....this is when most EVs would be sipping their juice, charging up at night when their owners
were sleeping and being ready to rock in the morning.

> 3. If all cars were electronic, the cost of burning coal is more than the cost of burning fuel for >the same amount of miles.

Nope....it

Posted on: 2001/1/20 4:33

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
"How about some of you posting all about your 1200s, so that I can be brought up to speed?"

Everyone likes to talk about their cars, and I'm no exception so I'll jump right in.

I'm a 510 guy (1600 to the Aussies) and stuck an Infiniti DOHC V-6 in mine. 13.9@100mph and 27mpg highway, but not fast enough for me. I wanted faster, which means more
HP.

And lighter. I still want close to 30mpg if I'm not flogging it.

Enter the 1200. Some like the sedans, I like the Coupes. 2/3 scale Z-car, kind of.

It's getting and SR20DET, but the stock T-25 turbo isn't big enough, so I upgraded to a larger turbo. The rest of the gory details are here :
http://www.datsuns.com/projects/1200/

It just came back to my house today (after getting the exhaust manifild fabricated) so the build notes should get added to again.

If you care, the 510 is here : http://www.datsuns.com/cars/davel510.htm

I drive it several days every week, as I build all my cars to be "daily driver" capable. I live very near you, John (Beaverton) and you're welcoome to come look at my
cars any time.

Dave Lum
'72 1200 Coupe
'71 510
'00 Maxima
www.datsuns.com

Posted on: 2001/1/20 6:02

Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your information, Boltman. I love it when some one with a new idea or new hardware gets involved with the average Joe. Best of luck with your 1200E's. Kick ass. My first 1200, I
bought new in 1972. I drove in stock until 1981 and then I decided it needed to be rebuilt. I found a lot of aftermarket parts and has some parts made up. I got a turbocharger from a wrecker
for $100 and highly modified a Hitachi side draft carb into a fuel injection and made an adapter from a 2" thick block of teflon to bolt the carb to the turbo. That little motor turned out to
be an almost 10,000 screamed. I put 90,000 miles on that motor before I got leak on my intake and blew out a cylinder. During the 1982 World's Fair here in Good Old Knocksville, it was making
every head around look and see what the strange noise was coming from. It sounded like an Indy car and would kick ass on a stock Corvette. I had it to 138 MPH on flat roads. Funny that
recently at Bonneville Salt Flats, a 1200 broke a record I think of 132 MPH.

Posted on: 2001/1/20 6:15

Re: John Wayland, an introductio/my 1200
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Very interesting indeed. Alltho i think i will stick to the old A14 for now.

Now i can tell u how i fell in love with the 1200 :) Well, in about 1985ish my dad bought an old poo brown 1200 coupe that he used as a work car for 10 years. I never took much notice of it
when i was a kid, but as i got older and more into cars, the 1200 started to grow on me. I eventually got the 1200 off dad when i was about 14 and bought another red 1200 coupe for parts. We
ended up restoring the red coupe into a mint stock 1200 and that was my first drivable 1200 i owned. I then started fixing up my dads old poo brown 1200 coupe and it ended up getting a black
paintjob big wheels and a mild A15. I then bought a white 1200 sedan for a few bits and peices and then resold it, alltho i should have kept it as it was a clean shell. I then bought a blue
1200 station wagon which was completly rooted. The only thing that was good was the engine and box. I used the engine and box in my red 1200 as i blew up the stocker A12. I then sold the red
1200 coupe to my sister which she wrote off 8 months later :( My black 1200 at this stage looked pretty tough, went well and smoked the wheels. But, i ended up wraping it around a pole and
killing it. I was devestated! Both my 1200's - dead!! I then had no 1200's for about 8 months and drove a crappy ford falcon around. I now have bought another blue 1200 coupe with neat paint
and minimal rust. I have some huge 10" vented discs and 4 spot calipers going on the front soon. I have a huge H190 diff ready to fit and i fitted up a 150hp A14 race engine 2 weeks ago that
i bought of CA18DETman (Andrew Deniss) I have sunny 5 speed behind it which i hope will hold up for a while. The head however is off for a freshen up as Andrew revved its ring off for 12
months on the track!! Its sitting outside right now not moving anywhere until i get the head back on and fired up. I will then be putting the brakes in. I am thinking about buying yet another
1200 of some kind to restore to stock and resell. Or get a 1200 coupe shell that all ready has a roll cage etc and selling my blue coupe as a stocker. I have my eye on a nice red race 1200
coupe shell were the head is being seriviced. But its quite expensive!!

I have also owned a 4 dr 120y (b210) that i bought for $80!! The engine didnt work when i bought it but a new head gasket fixed that. I then thrashed the hell out of it on dirt tracks and
almost rolled it a few times. I ended up selling it for 400 bucks. Best 80 bucks ive ever spent :)

Well there u go. My 1200 history. I would never buy any other type of car now that i've driven 1200's. I wouldnt mind fixxing up a 510 tho. Or a Valiant Charger (Aussie 70's muscle car) with
a huge 460 V8 supercharged donk. But, not right now. Gotta go. Cya

Scott

Posted on: 2001/1/21 4:39

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hello Dave Lum and fellow 1200 fanatics,

>I'm a 510 guy and stuck an Infiniti DOHC V-6 in
>mine. 13.9@100mph and 27mpg
>highway...

In total, I have owned....get this....77 Datsun 510s! Around here in Portland, it seems I see fewer and fewer NICE 510's as time goes on. However, about a week ago I saw a lowered, clean, and
definitely modified 510 come crusin past our home at 114th & Glisan.....was that you by any chance?

>Enter the 1200. Some like the sedans, I like the
>Coupes. 2/3 scale Z-car, kind of.

Yeah, wasn't it nice of Nissan to have made two different ones to please all of us (bummer that the US never saw the wagon or that awesome truck version!)?
I am in the other camp, in that I much prefer the sedans over the fastback. I like the more upright windshield (less claustrophobic), the extra 2 inches of headroom, and the structurally
stronger body that has a steel bulkhead behind the seat that separates the trunk and ties the rear of the passenger space together...missing this piece, the fastback is a bit boomy and shoe
box like as it rolls down the road....the sedan has a much more solid feel. In the states at least, the plastic formed grill of the fastback, to me, lacks the quality look of the sedan

Posted on: 2001/1/21 6:44

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hello Scott and 1200 fanatics,

>now i can tell u how i fell in love with the
>1200.....the 1200 started to grow on me. I
>eventually got the 1200 off dad.....

Thanks for the history. The 1200 is a very fun car, and its light weight feel and nimbleness makes it all the more to drive....kinda like a street legal gokart. My 2000 Honda Insight gas/
electric hybrid car feels like a '2000 Datsun 1200' might feel, and when I first test drove the Insight, I immediately thought of the 1200 in the way it felt to drive. Other than its front
wheel drive (arrgghh), the Insight at just 1878 lbs. is light enough and small enough to bring back that fun 1200 feeling. Yes, this car looks way different than the square shouldered 1200
sedan, and with its teardrop shape, rear wheels that are 4 inches closer together than the front wheels are, swoopy sports car like lines and fender skirts in back, the Insight doesn't look
anything like a 1200, but it drives and feels VERY 1200 like.
Thanks again for sharing the story of your 1200 love affair. If Nissan were to get its head pulled out of its ass, and reintroduce the great Datsun name to the US and reissue the 1200
sedan, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

See Ya........John Wayland

Posted on: 2001/1/21 6:59

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hi John,
1200s : 3 (one was always parts only)
Type: 4 dr Sedan
Brakes: BIG (only just fit under 14 inch wheels)
Engine: CA18DET (bigger T28 turbo)
Suspension: Lowered Sports (aftermarket)
Paint: Ascot Green (pastel light green)
Wheels: Dragway Pro 14x6 (chromed)
Dash: Coupe with Tacho
Sound: Currently put in a new dash and using original AM radio, need to reinstall CD player in stealth location.
Best 1/4 mile: 15.0@93mph (Engine's been bad for a while)
Plans:
1. Have full-set of straight original 2nd hand panels awaiting painting and installing.
2. Have carpet ready for install
3. Have repro Bailey channels and door strips.
4. Engine rebuild to race spec (still budgeting)
5. Haltec ECU (still budgeting)
5. Race dampers.
6. Rebuild of seats front and back.
I might buy a car with A/C but that's the only reason I'd buy another type of car.
Only people who drive 'dattos', understand the good feeling when someone yells out 'datto...' as you drive by, or pull up to a set of lights.
I once tried to explain this to a girl I know, and she just didn't get it..she said '...and this is a good thing??'. Actually very few girls
really do understand this.

Anyway..that's my story.

Posted on: 2001/1/21 11:25

Where are John's EV Pages?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey John,

Where are your pages?

Has big brother suppressed your coolness?

Chris

Posted on: 2001/3/12 9:05

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.