Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

non factory electrical stuff added onto your datsun (fluffy dice with leds? hope not)
Home away from home
From Sydney.au
Group:
Registered Users
recently ive overhauled all the electrics in my coupe. i thought id share and see what others have done to their datsuns..

going from front to back.
-H4 headlights
-alarm trigger when bonnet/hood is open (treated as a door to the alarm)
-thermal fan w/ thermal switch connected into my radiator, also manual switch + led in cabin.
-thing i put together to keep the thermal fan on after the car is turned off for a set number of minutes, if the temp is still over the thermal switches threshold.
-heavy guage wires from positive on battery to starter motor and another to the alternator. i also ran both + and - all the way to the boot. alternator is non factory 70 or so amp.
-heavy guage wires from negative on battery to engine block + front chassis and ran it all the way to the boot, via cabin chassis connection too. added a new wire into stock wiring loom too.
-2 x 30amp breakers for lights + all other interior electrics (everything ive added is behind a breaker)
-relays! lowbeam, highbeam, highbeam flasher (indicator stalk), thermal fan.
-fuses! lots.
-N12 dissy + regraphed.
-oil temp + psi aftermarket guages (considering upgrading them to digital ones, theyre not too pricey on ebay these days, for ok ones)
-jaycar built kit digital tacho (sitting in the stock tachometer hole w/ blutac, its not fallen out in over 5 years!)
-extra cig lighter sockets (twin socket) sitting in passenger shelf (soon to be bolted to side of it)
-manual switch to turn on amp and voltmeter all in one thingy. (also from jaycar, beeps when volts go below 11.5, also has an external temp probe which ive run out to the radiator and just sits ontop of it w/ glue)
-manual switch to open the boot (it pops almost all the way open)
-indicator stalk w/ highbeam flasher (found yrs ago on ebay from UK)
-manual switch fuel primer. (so i can pump fuel into the carbs before the motor has oil pressure. this required relays in the cabin and boot)
-alarm killswitch relay (i havnt implemented this just yet as i have to cut the factory ignition wire)
-alarm + central locking (installed yrs ago, also opens the boot via a button)
-relay which became a home made 'lights on' warning buzzer, incase lights are on and ignition is not.
-i previously used zener diodes but have recently realized and confirmed they chew up ~1volt! only using them on negative wires, used for my manual switches (fan + amp) now.
-semi expensive speakers to fit in stock holes.
-relay to switch to direct wire to battery for the amp + voltmeter all in one thing
-1200 automatic centre console w/ ipod adapter glued through the base into it, so the ipod can sit upright.
-amp from douggy
-12" sub in a box
-relay to enable electric fuel pump only when there is oil pressure in the motor (or when primer switch is depressed)
-electric fuel pump now behind RHS wheel well, so much better there. previously in the engine bay. bad experiences trying to get fuel into the filter after not starting the car for months... (bouncing like mad on my towbar)
-relay for fuel pump
-mercury switch hotglued to rhs boot arm (for boot light)
-5 bright leds in a row which light up when the boot is opened, via the mercury switch ; it also trips the alarm's door circuit. the leds light up the boot well!
-boot opener kit which has a big magnetic switch to pull open the boot lock at the push of a button
-external reverse light + relay
-additional cig lighter sockets in the boot. i always carry a bright light (100W in this case) on a long cord, u never know when u will need one.
-brake light properly glued this time to the rear window, nice and bright to prevent morons from driving into the back of me.

phew thats it. setting this stuff up by an amateur (moi) was a bit of a mission but its done now.
all the wiring (as much as i could) is in protective covering.

heres some pics
Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2012/1/21 15:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: non factory electrical stuff added onto your datsun (fluffy dice with leds? hope not)
Guest_
Good work but after my recent events, less elecs iis best lol

Posted on: 2012/1/21 21:04

Re: non factory electrical stuff added onto your datsun (fluffy dice with leds? hope not)
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
You have been a busy beaver. I like these particularly, I need them:
* extra cig lighter sockets (power sockets)
* relay to enable electric fuel pump only when there is oil pressure in the motor (for crash safety)

Does this work the same as stock Datsun 1200 highbeam flasher? 1979-up utes have it stock, but it was an option for Sedans & Coupes:
* indicator stalk w/ highbeam flasher (found yrs ago on ebay from UK)

Posted on: 2012/1/22 1:35

Home away from home
From Sydney.au
Group:
Registered Users
dd - yeh the elec fuel pump bit ive been wanting to do for a long time, im happy to provide you my relay setup's if you like as I figured it all out, but its not hard if u have previously used relays or google, just dont forget the primer! also the highbeam flasher did not plug into the factory wiring as far as i can tell (my 73 coupe didnt have anywhere to plug it in) so i just wired it back thru a relay to the highbeam relay in the engine bay. i love highbeam flashing morons in the traffic, there are LOTS of them in Sydney traffic.

edit: the highbeam flasher im just using as a momentary switch so as long as my finger is on it, its on. i use it a lot.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 2:49

Edited by evilsim on 2012/1/22 9:36:18

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes, send the fuel pump info to me, or post it up here.

My ute has the head light flasher, just push the button and the headlights come on for like 1/2 second. Wasn't sure what it was for as I can manually flick the beams easy enough.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 2:56

Just can't stay away
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Good work but after my recent events, less elecs iis best lol

here here

Posted on: 2012/1/22 3:10

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
how did you go about doing the boot popper?

Posted on: 2012/1/23 0:08

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
talk about being busy. Thats allot of wiring. Top work for figuring it out. Datsun's cigaret lighter's never work so having 3 up's your odds.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 1:10

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Quote:
Datsun's cigaret lighter's never work

You can say that again
* In my 1200 sedan, it's intermittent
* In my 1200 ute, it doesn't work unless twisted just so
I tried tightening/fixing them, but ...

Posted on: 2012/1/23 1:14

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Townsville, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
you got me thinking about what I need to do to the Y in the near future:

- run relays to the H4 lights
- wire up some spotties
- make a gauge cluster to replace center console
- fit small electric heater for demisting duties
- fit up a couple of switches in the empty radio slot
- fit rally computer and probes

Posted on: 2012/1/23 3:20