Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Is a CR14DE a viable conversion? Let's find out.
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
A fair while back I was picking something up at a wreckers for my wifes car and paused to look at a 2008 K12 Micra that was missing the radiator support panel. Whilst looking at the motor I was noticing that the dimentions looked roughly right for a 1200 or 1000 conversion. Front bowled sump, not too high, all alloy construction, twin cam, 4 valves per cylinder and variable valve timing on the inlet. Needless to say it got me thinking, so after finding out the motor had a knock I organised a cheap motor with all sensors and injectors to be ripped out.

When I got home I did a quick research and found that, depending on what site you can believe, they put out 72kw @TW with the auto. But another suggests 63kw @TW. I'm going with 63 as it seems to be consistant with other various makes etc.

One of the things that I liked was the fact that the injectors were embossed into the head, spraying the atomised fuel directly onto the back of the valves. That would make it a bit easier for fabricating an intake manifold when the time comes.

When I first got it home, It had almost a full compliment of accesories, as in a drive plate, injectors and fuel rail, a couple of cast iron mounts, water pump and pipes etc, but no exhause, alternator and tensioner. As I had help to get it into the car, I wondered how heavy it actually was, Nobody was home to help, so being a stubborn lad I picked it up and expecting a struggle I got myself psyced up only to be suprised at how light it was. on the scale, with oil, it weighed in at 61kg. Hell yeah it's light.

So on the stand it went so I could look at what is inside. It looks good. Very good. Anyone who has looked at it basically compares it to a motorbike.

Stay tuned for what I found out next. Some already know.

Posted on: 2012/3/17 10:09

Re: Is a CR14DE a viable conversion? Let's find out.
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Ummm the suspense!!!
Im guessing since it shares the input shaft with the HR16DE
http://www.japcat.ru/nissan/4/1/89/322/56563/

then there could be a RWD box already available?
or does an A series box have almost what it takes to convert one as previously mentioned?

Posted on: 2012/3/17 10:28

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know how a FWD gearset would have any relevence to what I'm doing D. Expecially seeing as they do not use a spigot as well.

First pics.

Open in new window

Open in new window

And the head.

Open in new window

Open in new window

And the block.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2012/3/17 10:47

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
So the first thing I tried after a forage at pick a part was an auto bell housing, to see if anything alligned up. As I was in between Datsuns at the time I had no gearbox related items to check out for compatibility I had to do a little scrounging.

I found that the 2 dowell positions of the A series bell housing matched perfertly along with 3 of the 4 main bolt holes of the block. The biggest problem being that the CR block used 4 x M10 bolts as apposed to the A series used 6 x M8 bolts. I was off to a good start.

To make this conversion interesting I've decided to stick with an A series gearbox to get everything sorted. It makes sence to me as it has to be as simple as possible to keep things cost effective. But you never know what direction it might take.

I ned to find a flywheel, as the CR14 did not come to Australia in manual if might be a problem. Or not. Apparently there are a couple of model flywheels that fit. I'm off to pinch a part tomorrow to track down something that fits.

I put an A series backing plate up to the back of the CR but as the plate fouled on the rear main assy it was a bit hard to see perfectly but by all indications it told me that the spigot centers were perfect. So today I cracked out the angle grinder and took out any un nessicary material. Then drilled out the 3 8mm holes to 10 mm to see what would happen.

Open in new window

Then drilled out the bell housing of a 60 series 4 speed.

Open in new window

But at first it would not fit, it turned out the spigot was fouling on the crank as it's not deep enough due to the fact that FWD manuals do not use a spigot as the inpus shaft is supported front and back in one piece. So I took off approx 10mm to get it on.

Bam. It bolted straight up. And further inspection found that the spigot is pretty much perfect.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2012/3/17 11:12

From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
Nice!

Posted on: 2012/3/17 12:40

From South east Qld, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
sweet, got any ideas about what your gonna do for a starter motor?

Posted on: 2012/3/17 13:31
Previous Datos -
ca18det 1200 ute 180rwkw
12a montser port 1200 ute 212rwhp
Stocko 1200 wagon
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
I wish that we got more 60 series four speeds here in NZ. What like is the Auto bellhousing?

Posted on: 2012/3/17 20:27

From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
Looks great Don, so the snout on the spigot was a little too deep for the crank receiving, so it just needed a shorten? And you are saying that the spigot meshes perfectly within the crank?

That's a pretty smooth start! That sump bulge looks like it is the opposite to what it needs to be to fit over the cross member, is that the case?

Posted on: 2012/3/17 20:31

From Cape Town ZA
Group:
Registered Users
Very cool, will be following this one!!!

Biggest thing as has been mentioned is the starter motor, but it would seem you can cut most of the sump area around the original A series starter away and maybe get away with fitting it there?

Posted on: 2012/3/17 20:36

Old
4AGZE 16V turbo
196.5KW/283NM
800m - 200km/h
400m - 12.3s

From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure that was mentioned when I had spoke to him last (to sculpt that part away and make way for the factory starter). It's a great looking engine, and so small and powerful (comparatively).

Posted on: 2012/3/17 20:43

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.