Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Volvo 140 rear axle into a 1200 - Anyone else done this?
Quite a regular
From Long Beach, California
Group:
Registered Users
I've got a 68 Volvo 142s sitting in my garage that I won't be using anymore. The rear axle has disc brakes, a dana 30 diff and is 1350mm (53").

Seems like the perfect axle upgrade for rear discs and an LSD upgrade option since I wouldn't have to modify the axle length at all with high offset wheels. I haven't seen anything on this site about someone doing this swap though and so I figured I would ask as there is maybe a bad thing I am missing.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 1:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Volvo 140 rear axle into a 1200 - Anyone else done this?
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Sounds like a good plan. Is that the Dana 30 differential? There's been talk about it the 240 diff (which is narrower), but I don't know that anyone's done it

Is that Flang-to-Flang measurement?
Open in new window

Posted on: 2016/9/15 1:48

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
the 140 ovolovs are starting to pick up in value a shame to rape it for a diff unless its too far gone body wise. The dana 30 is a very heavy unit defeats the datsuns lightweight qualities. Whats wrong with your diff or are you planning a monster engine?

Posted on: 2016/9/15 2:29

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
I should have remembered this when we last talked; the 140 is a coil spring set up versus the leaf spring 1200. You'd have to fab spring pads and weld them to DANA 30.

D this is for a rally 1200 that will have a eventually have a bigger motor in a part of the country where even dirt gymkhanas are rough.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 5:37

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the responses guys. First let me say that I wouldn't be butchering some beauty of a 142s. I got the car in a terrible state off ebay for $400 and built it for a racing series called 24 Hours of Lemons, so it was already beat up. After the first race the rest of the team bailed on me and so it has sat in my garage for 2 years now gathering dust. I promised a guy he could have the car and he is supposed to pick it up this weekend. Out of curiosity I was checking out the rear axle when I was getting it ready for him and realized how well it would work out for the Datsun. So if he doesn't show up (as he is rather flaky) I will be keeping it for the rear axle. Then I'll part out the rest and trash the chassis/roll cage.

Yeah it has a Dana 30 ddgonzal. I believe there are size differences of the diff between the 140 series and the 240 series. I'm not sure if that will limit whether I can go LSD or not. And yes D, I am looking to do an engine swap once I have a rear axle figured out. If I can do this then I'd be looking at ~200hp for a start to see how things go. If the Volvo gets picked up by this guy I know someone local with an 81 Datsun 510 Wagon they are trying to get rid of. It has the L20B and 5 speed so I would take those and the rear axle from it and bring it all over to the Datsun for a lower HP build.

Thanks for the heads up Rallytwit re: the springs. It seemed like most axle upgrades require this modification either due to coil springs or the leafs being unaligned so it doesn't concern me too much. I just need to do some research and find a shop I can trust to do it right.

And I have been wavering lately. I'm debating the rally route now...I'm finding out the rallycross scene here has shrunk like crazy since I was last taking part in it and that would be my main use. Not sure...would have to figure out what exactly to do with it then.

If I still have the Volvo next week I'll get the axles off for comparisons and post it, maybe it'll be useful info for the wiki on rear swaps haha!

Posted on: 2016/9/15 7:41

Home away from home
From Oberon NSW {Bathurst}
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Just had a thought! I fitted a Volvo 740 diff and suspension into a 32 Ford Vicky. I opted to use the coil suspension so why not on the datto! Instead of fabricating spring pads to match datsun leaf why not fab up or modify control arms and mounts from the volvo to suit the datsun. Thats what I would do. Just a thought!!

Posted on: 2016/9/15 8:14
0427 138 266
THIS YEARS RIDES & PROJECTS:
Tweaked 2009 AURION SV6(Daily)

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
That 1981 Datsun A10 is 2" wider than the 1200 and it will be leaf-spring H165. But then LSD is spendy for the H165. Guys were fitting $700 TRD LSDs until they stopped selling those

Posted on: 2016/9/15 8:18

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah fabbing up mounting points could be a way to go, I'll look into both and see what makes more sense in the end.

I know the A10 setup isn't ideal either but it is the next cheapest option that is close to home haha. Maybe I'll look for another Volvo axle but I'd imagine that would be harder to find.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 17:32

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
So it looks like this guy will be picking up the car, at least he is checking in with me regarding it.

If so, a nearby pick-a-part has a 144 that has been on the lot for a month, hopefully it is still there. If not, they have a few 240 series and according to the Volvo green books, it is only 10mm wider at 1360, so it would still be doable.

Posted on: 2016/9/16 1:49

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Sounds like the 1981 Datsun 510 axle is the same width (and already comes with leaf pads). Datsun A10 wagon (leaf type) 49" between backing plates. Estimated 53" axle wheel flange to flange. 1190 cm overall drum to drum

For that matter than Datsun 200SX axle is same width, with REAR DISCs, H190 (1982-1983), coil spring

possibly B210 stock driveshaft bolts to the H165 and fits B110 (saving cost of custom driveshaft)

Posted on: 2016/9/16 2:00

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.