Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

A series Ford CFI bolt on!!
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Ok its all theory but went to the wreckers today and couldnt help thinking of adapting two of these babies to an engine since they are so cheap and could work better than webers. First though one on the standard manifold would be a start.

Replacing the Weber 32/36 Carb with the CFI Throttle body from an EA Falcon.

Yes its from an EA cheap ass falcon but a CFI injection system is still better than a carb.

1, simplicity - original manifold can be used with weber adapter plate so it will fit under the bonnet looking original.

2, CFI EA Falcons everywhere.

3, Performance - The Falcon CFI is designed for a 3.9L six that produces 300+NM of torque.....CFM is not going to be a problem...however the chokes can be enlarged (40-43mm is possible)

4, Ease of instalation - The Ford CFI computer runs on a Lambda and is self tuning...It gets its firing signal from the coil....(as far as researched similar to camira delco unit)

5 - With a weber adaptor, the original air filter will still be able to be used...or a K&N for looks. (however will need modded bonnet bump)

Any ideas or thoughts anyone???

I saw bentaxelbobs photo somewhere here on the forums too on a gas conversion using this throttle body...

Open in new window

Posted on: 2005/10/26 14:22

Re: A series Ford CFI bolt on!!
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Very interested indeed, always looking to make the daily driver more of just that. So what would these be like on a stock a14/15??
You'd have to cut the base out of the orig air cleaner assm which is no probs either. Might investigate myself... u-pull-it on the weekend

Posted on: 2005/10/26 14:58

IPRA Build
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I love cheap, common bits and pieces.

B.A.B from Canberra loved fanta injection, LPG, VB, and a billy or two.

Good fella though. If you are running a supercharger, this might just be what you are looking for. Same goes for a delco+blow through turbo install.

Posted on: 2005/10/26 15:07

From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Great resourceful and clever thought...

Got to be about the cheapest way to go EFI around for an A series

Posted on: 2005/10/26 15:16

From Townsville, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
Keep us posted, sounds good

Posted on: 2005/10/26 15:37

Group:
Registered Users
Damm just realised I posted this in classifieds!!!! should be on the main forum

Can someone please move this???

Anyway....
The great thing about the EA Falcon CFI is that the pressure regulator is built onto the throttle body and it also only runs about half the fuel pressure of a normal EFI system so it's alot safer to toy with.

The way the injectors sit in the top of the throttle body is a bit restrictive, but as it comes off a 3.9 litre engine there's still plenty of area there for an A series and can be increased for larger cfm by using larger chokes (or machining original out).

It would be the perfect set-up to use when toying with building your own injection system like the Megasquirt or modded Delco. However it might work straight our with the ford computer as its a learning type unit that self adjusts as per the requirements of flow.

The ford computer works on firing information by the electronic ignition system.

Its all guesstimates but cheap to try anyway if you want something different cheap and perhaps very worthwhile.

I cant wait till my engine is in the datto and the tunnel finished...

Posted on: 2005/10/27 2:09

Home away from home
From Ipswich,QLD
Group:
Registered Users
I checked out some of the ford forums
most people with eary ford fuel injection rip it out and run redline manifolds with a webber or holly and it out performs the CFI system ...
some main problems they had were rough or wont idle with a different cam for some reason .
Plenty of dead fords out there to strip from what i can gather you will need air flow metre ,computer ,there are some wiring diagrams amogst the ford forums and CFI conversions ............

Posted on: 2005/10/27 2:13

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
I love the idea! I had the CFI in my old '84 and '85 LTD (Ford 5 liter), and they also were in every 83-85 Mustang V8 automatic. Very smooth, very reliable.

Performance should be better than Weber 32/36. Except ...Quote:
The Ford CFI computer runs on a Lambda and is self tuning...It gets its firing signal from the coil....(as far as researched similar to camira delco unit
It is only self-tuning within a very limited range. They are a "speed-density" system, which is programmed for a certain engine. You can change cam, headers, etc., and it will still run OK, but the more you do the less well it will work. It is not a "mass airflow" system like most of the newer systems. At some point they need a "chip" reprogram, and I don't know that those are available for CFI. And for a 1.4 liter engine, it may or may not run very well. The V8 and 6 cylinder Ford control boxes used very different programming.

You'd need all the sensors and the black box. There is a ton of relays related to it on the US fords as well.

There are some tricks you can do for the CFI ... you will need a hotter thermostat than usually run in a 1200 (180 F or higher), you can adjust the TPS and the fuel pressure adjustment would have a large global effect. The other problem is the distributor feed ... I doubt if the control box would work without that signal (it's Ford "TFI" in the early 80's models). I have a book on the CFI and have the fuel pressure gauge ... Hmmm ... now I'm thinking I should try it! I wouldn't expect great results, but you never know til you try it.

Posted on: 2005/10/27 5:19

Group:
Registered Users
Well the cfi would work great on local fords if they ran 2 of the buggers!!! on is a little small for the hefty piece of junk the ford 6 is.
Also Ive got a great update on someone who has gotten in before me and will know more soon but for now...
Quote:
Hey bud .. Been there done that..
And it's the easiest way to inject a Caeby engine. That's what I use on my car.
Let me know if you have any questions,I can tell you what ever you need to know as I have done the reserch,used it and runs it all the time.Quote:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/saam.val/

ddgonzal can you find a picture of the v8 setup? I would love to play with a four barrel type one for my rotor.

Posted on: 2005/10/27 15:04

Quite a regular
From Bendigo, Vic (Australia)
Group:
Registered Users
Definately interested in this one ! Would love to see the details of this conversion ! !

Posted on: 2005/10/28 0:20

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.