Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Are our Datto's going to depreciate in value?
Quite a regular
From Melbourne VIC
Group:
Registered Users
This is a topic I was talking over with a mate the other night, so it's all hypothetically speaking. Don't get all mad and pissy.

With a new line of Datsun vehicles coming out in the near future ( Datsun GO,GO+,on-DO) , would that affect all the pre 1986 vehicles to depreciate?

Factor:
1. The rarity of Datsun ownership is no longer there
2. The new era of vehicles are so different that they could turn people off the Datsun brand(demand being lower)

This could be viewed in a completely different manner however, and in fact be in our favour.
Even if they do decrease in price and popularity it could simply mean more supply for us

So what's your thoughts on this subject? Keep in mind it's all HYPOTHETICAL. I know alot of us spent good time and money on our Datsuns and I didn't make this to knock anybody down. But it is an inevitable topic which should probably be discussed.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 2:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Are our Datto's going to depreciate in value?
Guest_
Nup. Cause they are all fwd and built for certain price market. Did original fiats and minis and beetles depreciate due to a new model??? Nope.
end discussion.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 2:51

Home away from home
From Bendigo, Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
Have had many discussions on this topic. Firstly I don't think new vehicles would have any effect on prices of Datto's. I think it all boils down to the economy and who has the money to buy them. I personally think Datto's are overpriced for what some people want for them.
Look at GT falcons what they were bringing ten years ago and what the same car is worth now, way less.
My hobby is motorbikes. Ten years ago a Kawasaki 900 in restored condition was worth $25,000 these days the same bike sells for $15,000.
Also think some is a generation thing, what you grow up wanting is what you will buy when you are earning a squillion dollars a year no matter what it costs.In ten years time GT falcons may be replaced by Skylines or VL turbo's.
Just my thoughts.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 3:28

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Nah i dont reckon... Cause werent datsuns a cheap car back in there era? werent most of the dattos we love today like 1200s and 1000s directed at family budget vehicles? Thats what i see in these new datsuns aswell. And in my opinion thats what makes owning a datsun so cool especially a 1200 or 1000.

Weve got the history behind our cars. I dont think that the 'rarity' of owning a datsun isn't/wont be there, if anything the fact that datsuns are being brought out again make people aware of the fact that datsun was a car company from back in 50-60-70-80. (Suprising how many people my age havent heard of them! I'm 21!).
This, in my opinion, could possibly make our cars more sought after, but definately not depreciate. which in turn makes it rarer and cooler (appreciation! $$$$$) to own the 'original' datsuns.
You cant go buy a new 2015 datsun next year and call it a japanese retro vintage rare bla bla bla... But you can with a 50-60-70-80 datsun simply cause it is!

Like Unfam said above, it didnt do anything to any other classic makes, shouldnt to ours!

This shouldnt even be an issue but thats just my opinion!

Posted on: 2014/5/31 3:32

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Last thing before i ban myself from this thread, the reputation of old datsuns exists, is appreciated and is a GOOD reputation, and i dont believe this can be touched or changed by any new car ever. Because they are completely seperate from eachother from both time/era and demand/use etc.

Im sorry but the fact that you mentioned anyone getting mad or pissy means you expected atleast someone to get a little uncomfortable :) i happened to be that person so ill refrain now haha no harm done yea? :)

Posted on: 2014/5/31 3:45

Guest_
I agree with ivan in regards to datsuns overvalued to a degree.
Look at zeds and 1600's

But yes generations want what they grew up with. Im glad I won't be around most likely for the 1direction and beiber resurgence in 30years.

Current generations like the bolt on mods but there are a few people ive met searching for old carby cars cause they dont need computer degrees to mod them or fix stuff.

If im gen x ivan you must be prehistoric

Posted on: 2014/5/31 6:17

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the thing; you can buy a Porsche Boxters for 6-8K but this doesn't stop long nose 911s and 356 price from continuing to climb. As for the reputation of a make currently that has no bearing on values..........loads of 7 figures classics prove this, I hope Datsuns never reach the silly pricing of thins like 356s, Alfas or certain Ducatis. The joy of Japanese bikes and cars is that they were/are access able.

Tom

Posted on: 2014/5/31 6:19

From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
I do hear what the OP is saying.
But as the demand decreases, so does the supply. Each and every day cars are disappearing forever. And there are more and more people too.
I do see a change in the demographic of people who want datsuns too. A few younger guys popping up. Usually looking for a 510, or sometimes a 1200.
There will always be the other end of the spectrum too. Guys who used to own one, and get a bit older, then want one again. I received an email a while ago from username "regulator" on this forum whom I met through this forum close to ten years ago. His 120Y got written off just a few weeks before the very first Akaroa cruise.
He was looking for another 120y. Trying to recapture that misspent youth.
So I reckon the decrease in supply will offset the decline in interest.

Interesting point mentioning GT coons etc. Most guys want either what they or their mates had when they were younger, or the car they really wanted, but couldn't afford at that time. So muscle car's interest will be far less prevaliant in the future than the desire for skidders, sylvia's rotangs etc etc.

And yes I agree that old cars are very overpriced for what they are. I remember buying a 1200 coupe with 12" jelly bean mags, and a 60L dogleg 5 spd for $350. It even came with another rolling 1200 sedan.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 8:48

Home away from home
From Melbourne, Aus.
Group:
Registered Users
I also remember getting complete running 1200's for about $400.

How things have changed.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/jillib ... ing-body-shell/1043540710

Posted on: 2014/5/31 10:54

From MOOROODUC. Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
$2700 for a rolling shell .... tell him he's dreaming!

Posted on: 2014/5/31 11:12
Green Sedan #2 (Current build: DEMAC's 1200 Sedan)
Brown 4 door AUTO Sedan for sale...

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.