Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Race car rear ride height, what are you running?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
I'm trying to get a ball park of what ride heights fellow racers are running, I measured mine from just behind the jack point from the bottom of the body join. (the flat 20mm piece that runs the length of the car below the sill) , currently at 130MM / 5.125 inches.

The newly installed H190 has a whooping 1.5 inches of travel and more importantly the Diff snout is all of 1" from bottoming. Note I run the Nismo / Competition leaf springs, which the 1200 competition manual notes are to soft and the rear shackle needs to be modified to adjust the ride height so there is a minimum of 2" of travel.

The two choices are install the adjustable rear shackles or plasma cut a hole in the floor and weld in a new panel that allows for more clearance. Obviously I'll be trying the shackles first and if the handling is fine sticking with that.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/5/18 19:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Race car rear ride height, what are you running?
Home away from home
From windsor, sydney
Group:
Registered Users
hey tom , what angle do you have the pinion at? maybe you could point the pinion down a bit and gain some clearance so you can run the body lower and also gain some forward bite in power down out of corners

Posted on: 2013/5/19 6:21
Suspension, Brake, Drivetrain modification
TIG welding of all metals
0413 595 627

From Melbourne AUS
Group:
Registered Users
im at almost 180mm thats with 15 inch wheels and 205/50 tyres

i wouldnt recommend adjusting the pinion angle. with the rpm your driveshaft
endures on a circuit car running your uni joins out of phase will make them fail
almost instantly leaving you with horrible driveline vibrations at the very least.

Posted on: 2013/5/20 13:10

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
I put the adjustable shackles on the car and that helps but it is still not what I would like, it just barely has 2 inches of travel and the weld nuts for the rear seat belts on the underside of the car are still very close to the diff. (I'll be knocking those off) There is still one more adjustment left so I'll see after that. Worst case it will be headed over to my buddies shop.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/5/24 3:00

From Ballarat Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
I`ll measure mine and post it up. I`d think its a bit higher than yours tho, as I have about 3.5" of travel between diff axel tube and the rails. Also have adjustable shackles.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 3:39

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
hey rallytwit,

are you having issues with the nismo leafs because of running the "larger" h190 diff?
also which bushes do u run with the nismo leafs?and how much mm do they lower the rear end?
any info will be appreciated as i will also be running nismo leafs but with a nismo h165 but not fitted prob until late this year.

cheers

Posted on: 2013/6/9 4:03

Home away from home
From South East Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
From the back of the rear arch on my ute, it is sitting 270mm

Posted on: 2013/6/9 4:22

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
The rear ride height is now at 165 mm by moving the rear spring shackle position 57 mm (down to the lowest hole). The diff is now at 45mm from the floor (at the reenforcing plate for seat belts) I knocked off the weld nuts so that issue is gone, As for suspension travel it's now 2.5 inches (actaully 66 mm)

Keep in mind that the diff snout is roughly at the same point as the front mont for the traction bar so theoretically as the axle rises the snout would pivot away from the body..................of course it's not that simple as the upper link in the system is the leaf spring itself.

I am going to run the car at a local autocross this weekend end see if there are any issues.

a12grunt: as for the fitment issues yes most of it is due to fitting the XXL H190 into H145 hole. The Nismo springs will lower the car near 3 1/2 inches / 90mm with the standard spring shackles. The bushes I'm using are straight out of the suspension manual on this page. Aluminum at the front frame rail and urethane at the leaf spring. The traction bar uses rod ends.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/6/12 2:52

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Im not sure how much travel you would need in both rear wheel bump (worst senario i guess, in roll i would have a guess that 45mm at the centre is plenty).
I would have thought this bump senario would be limited by correctly setting the rear shock abosrbers high speed bump or if you are really worried, I'd add a small/stiff/progressive bump stop in the centre.
This should allow enough freedom in roll and control the amount of bump movement (These bump stops could be incorporated into the shocks like Bilstien do).

If we are talking a 1200 coupe and your regulations allow, I would look at lengthening the front spring hangers as this will point the rear roll axis down further and produce better roll geometry (roll understeer if i remember correctly) and also increase the rear ride height.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 3:53

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Why would you lengthen the front spring hangers, Wouldn't that just exaggerate the issue. I was under the impression that in an ideal setup, both ends of the leaf spring should be at the same height above the road surface and therefore roll would transition parallel to the road rather then twisting.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 4:19

-----------------------------------------
1971 B110 Sedan GX Spec
1970 KB110 Coupe Track Car
1970 KB10 Coupe
-----------------------------------------
S13 caliper b...

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.