A booster will not improve the braking ability of the car. But you may want one so that it is a bit easier to press the brake pedal.
With the light weight of the 1200, you don't need one (the pedal effort is not high on a 1200). Note that even on heavy cars, a booster doesn't make the brakes stop the car sooner, but only makes it easier to press the pedal. If your small brakes are locking up now, a booster will only make them lock up faster with less pressure on the pedal!
Factory Brake Booster was used from October 1989 in Sunny Truck.
See main article: Brake Booster What follows is for swaps from other cars
Swap choices include:
- Lancer LA/LB or B210 booster for easiest fit into a stock 1200
- Mitsubishi/Chrysler Galant
- B210 Brake Booster & cylinder, was fitted to many disc-brake B210s. In Australia, you can use a 120Y dual system master cylinder and a 180B (610) booster
- B310 (1979-1982) booster and master cylinder (13/16 inch). Need to modify firewall mounting point as these have four bolts
- You may need to modify (lengthen/shorten) the rod that comes out of the booster. Use a depth gauge (bit of stick) and make sure that the booster rod sits nicely inside the master cylinder. The booster is exactly the same internals as the 180B booster. Any larger booster, and you've really got to start cutting into the strut tower. reference: Sunny brake booster
- 260Z master cylinder (7/8 in diameter)
- master and booster from a Toyota Celica on a 1200. mareospeedwagon had to drill holes in the firewall to mount it but it worked real well.
Mitsubishi Lancer 1970-1980
The Mitsubishi LA or LB Lancer booster with its master cylinder is a straight bolt-in, though you may need to drill a slightly bigger hole in your brake pedal to fit the new pin through. It will fit next to a clutch master cylinder.
LA Lancer (1970-1976), also known as: * Chrysler Valiant Lancer (1973-1976)
LB Lancer (1977-1979) * Dodge Colt (earlier Colts were Galants) * Plymouth Arrow (coupe version)
Photos showing install of Lancer Booster
If you use a Datsun master cylinder with the Lancer booster, you may need to dent the strut tower in a little in order for the booster to fit.
LA/LB Lancer brake booster bolts straight up to the firewall, and the brake pedal, all u need is to get some brake lines made up. It uses 2 holes to bolt to the fire wall by way of a factory aluminum adaptor bracket.
To use the Datsun master cylinder with a lancer booster, you probably have to do some machining work. The outside diameter of the Datsun part is slightly too big for the front of the Mitsubishi part. A friend of mine machined down the master cylinder, but now I'd get the Mitsubishi bit made to suit the master cylinder. The part I'm referring to is the alloy casting which bolts to the front of the booster, and that the master cylinder bolts onto.
Booster and master cylinder from circa 2000 Corolla, installed into Datsun 1200.
Remote Brake Booster
B210 uses a type M45 Master-Vac with 4.5 inch vacuum diaphragm. It is the same as the 610 booster except for a different vacuum hose fitting.
Booster Jidoshakiki Co. Ltd. Bendix License diameter ~120mm width ~140mm flange 87mm thick ~120mm rod to pivot length about 5" diameter
Firewall Spacer 45mm thick bolt pattern: 53mm high x 80/89 wide Master cylinder adapter 20mm thick bolt pattern * 60mm vertical (master side) * 70mm horizontal (booster side)
Master cylinder length ~174mm full-size photo
USA 47210-H6100 ASSY-MASTER VAC 47210-H7200 ASSY-MASTER VAC <> 47210-H6100 47211-H6100 SPACER-MASTER VAC B210
JDM B210 47210-U0501 MASTER VAC (4-1/2) GX (op.)GL 1973-1975 47210-H6100 MASTERVAC ASSY-BRAKE 1976-1977 A14/L16 (op. others) 47211-H6100 SPACER-master vac
Compare to 710 USA 47210-U4000 47210-U5200 -0874 <> 47210-U4000 47210-U6700 0974-0775 47210-U9500 0875- 47211-26701 SPACER-MASTER VAC 610, 710
Compare to 610 USA 47210-U0501 47210-U5200 0873-0874 47210-U6700 0974- 47210-U9500 <> 47210-U6700 47211-26701 SPACER-MASTER VAC 610, 710
610 JDM 47210-U0501 MASTER VAC ASS'Y (4.5 inch) '72 GL,SSS,'73 DX 47210-U4000 MASTER VAC ASS'Y (6 inch) (from '73) GL, SS 47210-H6100 MASTER VAC ASS'Y-brake (from '74-8) DX 42711-26701 SPACER-master vac
710 JDM 47210-U0501 MASTER VAC ASS'Y-brake (4.5) DX,GL,SSS 47210-H6100 MASTER VAC ASS'Y-brake (from '74-8) DX,GL,SSS 42711-26701 SPACER-master vac
810 JDM 47211-U7400 SPACER-MASTERVAC 42711-26701 SPACER-MASTERVAC <> 47211-U7400 42711-U8700 SPACER-MASTERVAC S,K.LN